Better safe than sorry!
The following safety and recovery equipment will get you out of most predicaments you might encouter while off-road.
Must read: Jeep Checklists Before Going Off Road
Jeep Offroad Supplies To Pack
Keep in mind, if you’re riding with a group, then these items could come from any one of the vehicles in the group.
So, it’s not necessary for each and every vehicle to carry every item listed here:
- Air pump or air compressor
- Bow saw
- Bungee cords
- Can opener
- Cell phone and/or CB (Note: steel whip CB antennas can be dangerous out on the trail)
- Cigarette lighter
- Coat hanger – don’t underestimate the number of uses for the common household coat hanger!
- Duct tape
- Extra gas – enough for a round trip; make sure it’s in an appropriate container
- Extra motor oil (1 to 2 quarts)
- Fire extinguisher
- First aid kit – packed in a tight weatherproof container
- Flashlight/lantern/spotlight – with extra batteries
- Food – dehydrated foods take little space and last a long time; canned foods are convenient
- GPS unit or compass
- Hydraulic or hi-lift jack
- ID card – with emergency phone number contact info, medication, and allergy information
- Jumper cables
- Leather gloves
- Mirror – as a safety device for signaling help
- Multi-fit hose and a roll of rubber-weld tape – to repair a blown radiator hose
- Paper towels
- Pen & paper – a china marker writes on anything!
- Radiator stop leak or tank sealant putty
- Repair manual for your vehicle
- Rubber gloves
- Spare clothes
- Spare key kept on your person
- T-style lug wrench
- Tarp (6’x6′) – to keep yourself out of the mud and to catch small parts during repairs
- Tire pressure gauge, tire pump, and fix-a-flat
- Trash bags (heavy duty)
- Water – enough for you (to drink, clean up) and your vehicle (battery, radiator, washer fluid)
- Waterless hand cleaner
- Waterproof matches
- WD-40 or other lubricant
- Winch kit – including straps, snatch block (pulley), shackle
- Zip ties or cable ties
Most Useful Products For Offroaders
There are also a number of kits and products on the market today to simplify the repair process, in the event that a particular part on your vehicle fails.
Some of the most popular for offroaders are:
- radiator stop-leak
- silicone gasket maker
- plastic steel epoxy
- radiator tank repair sealant
- tire plugs or tire patch kit
- carburetor cleaner
I like to help people find unique ways to do things in order to save time & money — so I write about “outside the box” ideas that most wouldn’t think of. As a lifelong dog owner, I often share my best tips for living with and training dogs. I worked in Higher Ed over 10 years before switching gears to pursue activities that I’m truly passionate about. I’ve worked at a vet, in a photo lab, and at a zoo — to name a few. I enjoy the outdoors via bicycle, motorcycle, Jeep, or RV. You can always find me at the corner of Good News & Fun Times as publisher of The Fun Times Guide (32 fun & helpful websites).